Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Potty Training

So.. Sorry every one. This is my life so you get to read about potty training Woo hoo! I am trying to some what gently potty train Daniel. I tried to introduce it at 18 months and he was terrified of the toilet so I have been pretty casual about it so far, mostly just suggesting that he try because if I push too hard then I get a big crying fit. I really have no idea what I'm doing but he seems to understand most of it now and is somewhat receptive. He is quite independent though and I have to be careful how I go about it so he doesn't just decide that he absolutely doesn't want to have anything to do with the toilet. We have had mild success with number one but absolutely no success with # 2. He much prefers hiding in my closet and doing his business in his diaper or pull up. So I decided to try a bribe. Yesterday I made a chart and he gets to pick a sticker to put on it ever time he pee's. That has worked pretty well...so far. Today we went to Wal-Mart and bought some "Car's" cars. I put them on one of the ceiling shelves in his room where he can see them, and told him that he can have one when he goes poo in the toilet instead of his pants. I guess tomorrow we will see how it goes... those cars could stay there for a long long time... but I hope not. If you have any miracle advice I am all ears!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Everyone keeps telling me to potty train Mary. I say, what's the hurry? Maybe we can go through this together. (except Mary asks to go and I say, just go in your diaper. I'm too lazy to help her do it)

Michelle said...

We found that a chart with stickers, with visible goals on the chart worked good. 3 days was about as long as he could wait for a toy, we tried a week 1st and he got disinterested. So we bought 10 hotwheels cars and he got one if he went 3 days without an accident, even if there were accidents in between, we just kept track on the chart. Then every week or two we would have a big prize, which he picked beforehand like going to the dinosaur museum, or a movie, we saved those until he was pretty much potty trained, so you may want to choose some in between prizes that are more "medium" sized. Good luck!! Love ya!!

Michelle said...

Oh, he didn't get the big prize until he got all 10 cars, just remembered that. I should write that down somewhere so I can remember for the next one.

Tarmy said...

Good Luck Val!
It took daddy really yelling two times before Rachel really got the idea that you listen to your body. She still tells me about how mad he was...
But the chart worked pretty well for an along the way thing.
I'm glad you waited. What a waste to do it earlier Ü

Valerie said...

Thanks everyone. Nicole we really should do it together. I think I need extra support :)I'm pretty lazy too but I'm really tired of changing two kids bums. I bought three cars at the store. They are the more expensive Cars cars because I wanted to really entice him. I probably should pick up some cheeper ones. He still hasn't pooped in the toilet I am hoping for success today since he really wants the Mac Truck. Thanks for the advice. Let me know if you think of anything else.

Jenny said...

Good luck, Valerie. I have no advice for you; only sympathy!

Sarah said...

I don't have any advise...I am lucky if I can change a diaper without getting peed on! I guess we all have to work out the wrinkles with the "firsts". Thanks for your words of advise and encouragement about my new mommy woes.